I'm an onionist (cebollista). This recipe fries potatoes and onions in the traditional way in plentiful olive oil. An alternative low-oil version of pre-cooking the spuds is given at the end of this recipe.
As an alternative to frying the potatoes and onions in plentiful oil
you can try this
- cut the potatoes into thick slices (about 3/4 of an inch)
- add and heat just enough oil to cover a large frying pan
- add the onions and saute till soft and translucent
- add the garlic and soften them for a minute
- add the potatoes, stir and turn them to cover with onion/oil
- add a couple of tablespoons of water and put on a tight-fitting lid
- cook till tender but firm, taking care they don't over-brown. Add a little more water as needed.
- proceed to step 5 of the main recipe to make your tortilla